Monday, February 15, 2010

Beginning to Blog

Here it is! This is my very first posting on my very first blog. How did I wind up here? My development into a writer took root in my life-long love of reading. I find reading as natural as breathing and writing as important as eating. I would never attempt to answer the age old question: “which came first, the chicken or the egg?” My parents read to me from my birth. The Episcopal Church and the public library were the first places we located when we moved to new places-which we did often. Even today libraries and bookstores are my favorite places to visit.

What do I read? I read anything and everything. The last few years my best times have been reading with my grandson, Elliott. We like nothing better than curling up together with a stack of books. I especially love a good mystery. As a girl, I helped Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys solve many mysteries. Soon I moved on to become the sidekick of Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot. I always have a mystery ‘in progress’.

Books ‘in progress’ can be found on my bedside table, in my home office, by my recliner, in my car (I do not read while driving-these are for waiting rooms and the like), and in my purse. Although I read all types of books, there will always be stacks of children’s books, ‘how to’ write and become published books, Bible studies/ meditations/spirituality books, gardening books, cookbooks, and reference books.

After 31.5 great years in education as a teacher and administrator, I retired at the end of this past school year. I am reveling in the additional forty to sixty hours a week I can now devote to reading and writing. I am embracing writing as my full-time job. In the months to come, I will share my journey with you and hope to benefit from all of your expertise and encouragement.

7 comments:

Kit said...

Bravo! I would say that you are off to a great start. I look forward to all the adventures you will have!

Beth Mithen said...

Thank you! I know I can always depend on you for encouragement. I bet you never thought I would get this on-line!

Naomi said...

Never doubted you would do it. I have been watching you accomplish things for a long time. Looking forward to a long time watching you accomplish more.

Cathy said...

I look forward to seeing your posts - you have been "blogging" already through email stories - now you can have it in one place for us to go back to again and again!

ZenBear said...

I am so glad you can finally devote your energies to your writing... you have the talent so express yourself - i look forward to your first published book.

Naomi said...

For some reason I don't think you expect me to help you organize your notebooks.Spent too much timwe yesterday looking for notes I knew I wrote for current project. Finally found then 2 feet from my computer chair.

Beth Mithen said...

I appreciate all the kind words of encouragement. I was sure this would be hard work. It is even harder than I envisioned. Thanks again to all.