Monday, March 1, 2010

Read Across America Day

Tomorrow is Read Across America Day which is sponsored by the National Education Association! I urge everyone to participate! Read a book to your favorite children. Volunteer to read to a class at your local school. Donate a book to your favorite library.
 
At the invitation of my favorite reading coach-Dawn Shepard, I will have the privilege of returning to Miller County Elementary School and reading a book to a class. This will be my first visit back as their retired principal. I have selected a fun book; prepared a great hat; and have a basket full of eggs (chocolate eggs-that is) for my visit. I look forward to posting about my visit.
 
Miss Dawn is an inspirational reading coach. She will do most anything to get children to read more books and she could talk me into some bizarre disguises to motivate the children. I remember her challenging the kids to reach a reading goad with the promise of the principal (ME) dying my hair red. The kids read and read to meet that goal and therefore my hair was an interesting shade of 'purple' for weeks!
 
At another time she had me dress up as the old lady to read a book.


 
All of these were great fun and motivated kids to read more and more.



The most wonderful times are when I get to read to my grandson, Elliott.





Get ready; get set, read tomorrow and every day!

1 comment:

Cathy said...

I sooooo wish those pictures with the purple hair and the old lady would increase in size!!!! You did that on purpose!
Great post - I know the children will love it!!!